Assassination Press

Monday, July 18, 2005

Did U Know...

By James Knight (Assassination Press)



Did U know...

...the rock band U2 is the most popular Christian band in the history of recorded music?

...that we still don't know how planes fly?

...that we may soon be eating meat grown in a lab?

...that I didn't post to my blog all weekend, but instead went to a museum (in an altered state of mind), watched a DVD movie ("The Village" - it was awful, not recommended), had sex (it was fantastic), went swimming in our pool several times (according to the little duckie thermometer floating around in the pool, the water temperature was between 84 and 87 degrees all weekend - sweeeeeeeet), went to dinner (sushi), went to brunch at a trendy little club downtown, came up with some brilliant ideas for new AP editorials (coming soon to this blog), and toiled (in unmerciful Florida heat and humidity) in our yard and lost two pounds?

...that the current administration of the United States government has zero credibility and will covertly attempt to discredit, intimidate, or otherwise target you or your loved ones if you criticize them?


Submit This Article To Del.icio.us
Submit This Article To Digg
Add to Technorati Favorites
Submit This Article To Blinklist
Submit This Article To Furl
Submit This Article To Reddit
Submit This Article To Newsvine
Stumble It!

11 Comments:

Blogger Cooper said...

U2 is my facorite christian band as well even though I don't really like them.
I am now paranoid to get on a plane and I didn't have sex this weekend.

You've made my day.

The government ...well I knew that.

11:59 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

i did not know that about U2~
thanks

12:50 PM  
Blogger "Ari" said...

Sounds like a good weekend ;)

Hehehe.

Did you need to lose 2 pounds? If I lost 2 pounds I'd be like "aw, crap".

3:01 PM  
Blogger Der Tommissar said...

I dunno. A bunch of biblical references laced through a series of songs do not a Christian band make. Some of the references are a real stretch. For example, the "thief in the night" reference. Only consciously self-proclaimed "Christians" use that phrase? Really? Or, "How Long". That's two words. Anyone who puts those two words together could be some sort of Christian artist?

FWIW, Bono does appear to have a religious side, and there has been mentioned in the past how the band keeps in very close touch with an Anglican priest who knew them "way back when". I just think it might be a bit of a stretch to put them in the "Christian Rock" section of the Tower Records store. I could be wrong; if I am I have to seriously rethink my Christian rock ban back at the ranch.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Bradley Herring said...

Well, they were very Christian when they first started (Adam Clayton actually almost left the band around "Unforgettable Fire" times in a disagreement with Bono trying to push the religion while Clayton simply wanted to be a drugged-up rock star), but it seemed they kind of dropped it due to a crisis of faith on Bono's part. Look at the lyrics for "Wake Up Dead Man" from "Pop."

And I'm pretty sure the government's gonna come down on me HARD. But fuck 'em.

2:22 AM  
Blogger A Knight Without Shining Armor said...

I didn't mean to say that U2 was going to show up in the Christian Rock section of your local record shop, however, Bono does infuse his faith into the songs (which I have not found done with many rock bands, or at least in a positive light). Some songs are very obvious, some not, and some don't have anything to do with religion. Still, Bono, perhaps the most influential member of the group, is a Christian and he makes that clear in his music (maybe the most obvious is the album Joshua Tree).

Some people are not aware of the religious undertones in U2's music. It's an interesting factoid and that is why I mentioned it.

8:48 AM  
Blogger A Knight Without Shining Armor said...

Jonathan,

How do planes fly? I would like to hear your take on it. The article I referenced is from a fairly respectable and reputable person who does research for a living.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

Yeah, I've been reading The Straight Dope for years. Cecil (and his advisory board) always seem to do pretty good research for the answers. My two fave things about Cecil are: 1)He'll answer just about any question. One time the question was about why people sometimes get a shiver when they pee. That one was pretty funny. 2) As with this airplane thing (and the pee shivers thing), if he doesn't know and can't find a definite answer, he will say so and give a few of the theories that abound on the subject.

BTW, one of my pet peeves is people who can't just say "I don't know" and instead come up with a bunch of BS. One of my best professors in college would sometimes answer a question with, "I don't know. But I know where to find it." And the next day she'd come back with the answer. I was very impressed by that.

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://wtcdwpbl.com/aksj/ewcr.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://hoqthihl.com/wiof/tkno.html]Cool site[/url]

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://wtcdwpbl.com/aksj/ewcr.html | http://rsdhqqyc.com/flea/cyjt.html

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




< Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.